A brief survey on the financing interests of Spanish farmers

To better understand the market fit, we surveyed Spanish farmers, distributors, and input manufacturers about their attitudes towards additional financing and the demand for analytical services.

The survey was conducted in February 2022, with a total of 250 respondents.

Key findings of the survey:

  • Data from the study revealed that 55% of the questioned distributors currently have fewer than 50 customers, 30% have between 50 and 150 customers, and only 15% claim to have more than 150 customers.
  • Regarding the product category, most of the distributors are dedicated to selling seeds and fertilizers as opposed to other products such as machinery and other types of equipment.
  • Regarding financing tools, 25% of distributors recognize that they do not need them, while the other 75% use them every 6 months.
  • Regarding financing, 30% of the distributors agree to borrow less than 10,000 euros, while 50% request amounts between 10,000 and 25,000 euros. Only 20% claim to need more than 100,000 euros in financing. The time period for financing is usually between 90 and 120 days.
  • 100% of Spanish distributors are interested in acquiring analytical tools to better manage orders as well as optimize marketing programs with their suppliers.
  • 72% of the questioned farmers are self-employed. 50% of them are concentrated on farmland of less than 50 hectares, and 34% of them are from 50 to 200 hectares.
  • 64% of the farmers claim to have an annual income of less than €100,000. 20% of the farmers claim to have an income of between 100,000 and 300.000 €, and only 2% recognize an income of more than 500.000€ per year.
  • 75% of the questioned farmers are interested in Buy-Now-Pay-Later solutions.
  • On average, Spanish farmers are not familiar with financing tools. Almost 60% of all the respondents do not use them. Of the farmers who use financing tools, 50% use them only once per year.
  • For 30% of the farmers, the financing amount needed is less than €10,000; for 40%, it’s between €11,000 and €50,000; and the remaining 30% need more than €50,000 to finance their business needs.
  • As for the input manufacturers that participated in the survey, 60% of them don’t use e-commerce platforms or marketplaces for trading activities. 80% of them are interested in analytical tools to better manage orders and marketing programs at the customer level.

Agro.Club is a fast-growing agricultural technology company with a global presence (North America, South America, and Europe). Agro.Club provides its customers with innovative solutions for more effective and agile business management.